When your front wheels have a negative camber, they are inclining inward. Negative Caster Angles were used in many vehicles prior to 1975, including Muscle Cars, Compacts and even Sport Cars. Cross camber may also be specified, but not usually both.

Caster is controlled to control steering dynamics, sure- but caster in the rear can have multiple effects, none of them bad **IF** they are accounted for in the design phase. 14 Negative Camber Pros and Cons. The benefit of this angle is for making turns around corners because the wheels and tires are positioned better for this purpose. When I set my car up we added caster till it felt good, then carried on adding it till it felt worse and then worked back to find the sweet spot. Here, we discuss the possible side effects of castor oil you must be wary about and the measures you can take to avoid them. It will lighten the steering effort but also increases the tendency for the car to wander down the road. There are 3 types of caster. LOL!

Change them around and you've got the basics. This illustration shows positive caster, negative caster which no car ever has to our knowledge and the shopping cart caster analogy which we will discuss on the next page. Negative Caster Effects Negative caster is found only in older vehicles as it is a limitation of older technology such as outdated chassis dynamics and tire specifications. Negative caster in the steering geometry just doesn’t work so we won’t discuss it any further. Must've been a handful downtown with left & right turns everywhere. Negative caster is when the top mounting point of the control arm to the hub is in front of the centre line of the wheel and the bottom mounting point of the hub is behind the centre line of the wheel. Vehicles do not use negative caster. We’ve already discussed what is caster and how it becomes positive or negative. However, I've found that reducing the caster on one of my mid-engined sports cars had an interesting side effect. Caster… You might also be able to steer with less effort.

A lot of older cars have negative caster settings on their wheels. It is useful in the design of the car’s steering and suspension. I remember my father-in-law driving his manual-steer '73 …

The self-aligning torque and straight-line stability that is characteristic of positive caster are absent in a negative caster setting. Now, let’s find out the effects of these angles. Positive Caster vs Negative Caster. Vehicles with negative caster do not handle as well. … Negative caster angle isn’t a setting used by modern road cars.

As noted above, I just think you have reversed the 'positive' and 'negative' concepts. Vehicles do not use negative caster.