He was also a giant among American leaders in the first half of the 20th century, regularly advising presidents and challenging America's corporate leaders. He served as president of the United Mine Workers of America and was instrumental in founding the Congress of Industrial Organizations. John Lewis Finance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. John L. Lewis, American labour leader who was president of the United Mine Workers of America (1920–60) and chief founder and first president of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO; 1936–40). Enjoy the best John L. Lewis Quotes at BrainyQuote.

The son of immigrants from Welsh mining towns, Lewis left … Registered in England (company number 233462). • JOHN L. LEWIS (noun) Sense 1. Meaning: United States labor leader who was president of the United Mine Workers of America from 1920 to 1960 and president of the Congress of Industrial Organizations from 1935 to 1940 (1880-1969) Registered office 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Share with your friends. John L. Lewis was a powerful labor leader, who through the Congress of Industrial Organizations(CIO), helped raise living standards for millions of American families in the 1930s.
John L. Lewis A 20th-century American union organizer. Quotations by John L. Lewis, American Leader, Born February 12, 1880.